Job Summary: The purpose of Academic Advising is to help students identify their educational and career goals, advise students about their pathway of study, and work with students to create academic plans that lead to successful completion. Academic Advisors are members of an integrated College team providing individual academic, career and related support to an assigned group of college students as they progress through their programs. Pathway advisors provide support and guidance to their caseload to ensure students have the best opportunity to achieve their educational goals.
Academic Advisors for a pathway do the following:
-Assist students in identifying career and educational paths related to their pathway or program of study.
- Deliver one-on-one comprehensive and group advisement support services to an assigned group of students through degree completion and a range of academic counseling and support strategies.
- Teach students about college degree requirements and how to understand and follow graduation maps, interpret a degree evaluation/audit, and develop a responsible approach to academic planning.
- Be knowledgeable of pathway-specific programs at the college and related transfer options; maintain awareness of and communicate program changes to students.
- Work withRefer students to identify co-curricular options to enhance their college experience such as Student Life and Leadership organizations, study abroad, service learning, research, and internships that align with academic and career goals.
-Track the engagement and progression of students to ensure they reach key benchmarks throughout their academic program.
-Work collaboratively with assignedthe academic areas in which you advise to review curriculum and create graduation maps with the intent of increasing student completion in a timely manner.
- Assist the Director in establishing student learning objectives related to the work of the department and your academic pathway, intervene with students to produce intended outcomes and participate in assessment and evaluation.
Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts. Ability to clearly communicate both verbally and in writing is essential. Frequent travel may be necessary. This position receives a regular review of objectives. Occasional evenings and weekends are expected and required.