The Office of Residential Education invites applications for the position of Area Coordinator. This is a full-time, 12-month Administrative and Professional Staff, live-in position reporting to the Director of Residential Education. This position primarily supports the Office of Residential Education and, in summer months, provides secondary support to the Office of Conference Services and Office of Dining Services.
Oberlin College, an independent coeducational institution, holds a distinguished place among American colleges and universities. Oberlin was the first college to grant undergraduate degrees to women and, historically, was a leader in the education of African Americans. The Oberlin community is known for its academic and musical excellence and its commitment to social engagement and diversity. The Area Coordinator currently supports several residential units and associated faculty, staff, and students.
Oberlin College is unique among independent colleges for its commitment to offering its students a wide variety of on-campus housing options, such as special interest housing, co-operative housing, village apartment housing, and traditional housing that are designed to meet students’ progressive development. The Area Coordinator position is part of the Office’s management team comprised of the Director, one Assistant Director for Residential Education, and a Housing Coordinator. In addition, there is a team of 10 other live-in professional staff members comprised of Resident Liaisons, Graduate Residential Coordinators, and Area Coordinators. Area Coordinators are responsible for all programmatic and educational aspects within their assigned residence halls and the promotion of programs and services that support students’ personal, social, and academic success. More information can be found at www.oberlin.edu/resed.
Essential Job Functions:
- Management of the administration of College housing throughout the year to include data collection related to housing capacity, room change processes, student billing, early arrivals, late departures, and commencement housing.
- Mastery of the effective use of all capabilities of the current housing database software.
- Timely preparation and presentation of data for the Enrollment Management Team.
- Ability to listen carefully and respond clearly both orally and in writing, with understanding and compassion, to concerns and questions related to student life from parents, students, faculty, staff, the Oberlin community, and other institutions.
- Consistent excellent customer service to students with questions or concerns regarding their housing on- or off-campus.
- Planning for and implementation of a comprehensive housing selection process in coordination with various departments.
- Collaboration with the Office of Communications: to design, implement, and maintain an accurate and user-friendly website for the Office; to develop a comprehensive communication plan, including the use of social media; and to create a marketing campaign for the Office.
- Consultation with the Accommodations Committee and Return from Medical Leave Review Committee on matters related to housing availability.
- Training of professional and student staff with respect to housing administration.
- In collaboration with other Student Life staff, the review, evaluation, and revision of student and administrative office policies and procedures.
- Ability to engage in and develop collegial relationships with other employees in all areas of the institution.
- Participation in the area coordinator on-call system as assigned.
- Performance of other duties as assigned.
Send cover letter and resume to Andrew Sadouskas at email@example.com. Priority consideration will be given to resumes received by February 14, 2018. Please also apply online through the Oberlin College Human Resources website.