Assistant/Associate Dean of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The College of Information Sciences and Technology (IST) seeks a visionary leader to serve as the Assistant/Associate Dean of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI). This position is responsible for advancing equality and impact for the college and those it serves; creating an equitable, diverse, and inclusive environment for all students, faculty, and staff; and will be the key senior leader to guide and implement this work.
Working closely with the College's dean, faculty, and staff, the Assistant/Associate Dean is responsible for associated strategic planning activities and for implementing and managing College climate programs designed to recruit, retain, and support diverse pools of undergraduate and graduate students in the College. The Assistant/Associate Dean collaborates with the dean and faculty to design and implement programs focused on increasing the diversity of the college's faculty. This is a full-time, 48-week administrative position and will report to the dean of Information Sciences and Technology.
- Provide strategic leadership and be the focal point for all DEI related initiatives.
- Coordinate DEI programs for educating the college community and fostering a welcoming and inclusive environment.
- Design, develop and implement strategies to improve diversity, inclusion, and equity, and improve DEI related initiatives, programs, and activities.
- Lead the Inclusion and Diversity Action Council.
- Lead and support faculty efforts to promote DEI through gifts, grants and contracts.
- Stay abreast of current DEI trends and benchmarks in industry and higher education.
- Create educational opportunities via workshops, training sessions, invited speakers, and curriculum development in the area of DEI.
Communication and Outreach
- Provide effective and timely communication within the college regarding DEI issues and initiatives.
- Partner with college and university leaders to identify, plan, implement and assess activities that promote DEI, including training and educational programs related to managing a diverse workforce, reducing implicit bias, and other relevant topics.
- Provide advocacy for underrepresented faculty, staff and students in matters related to DEI.
- Partner with relevant university office to assist in recruiting diverse faculty, staff and students and help create an environment conducive to retaining a diverse community.
- Provide mentorship for faculty, staff and students from underrepresented backgrounds.
- Partner with relevant university officers to address issues of accessibility of buildings, facilities, and grounds.
- Ph. D or equivalent terminal degree.
- Record of excellence and experience in building, delivering, and advancing institutional DEI programs and activities.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Skill in working collaboratively with others and in developing professional networks.
- Experience developing techniques to analyze and assess DEI programs, their successes and their opportunities for improvement.
- Familiarity with laws and legislations pertinent to DEI and fair employment practices.
- Experience in communicating with various stakeholders and presenting to large and small groups in various forums.
- Ability to support the college's broad range of activities and initiatives.
While not required, individuals with faculty credentials/qualifications will be appointed to the position with a faculty affiliation. Appointment as Associate Dean will be based on commensurate experience.
The following clearances must be successfully completed for this position:
- Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Background Check
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Criminal Background Check
The College of IST is strongly committed to a diverse community and to providing a welcoming and inclusive environment for faculty, staff and students of all races, genders, and backgrounds. The College of IST is committed to making good faith efforts to recruit, hire, retain, and promote qualified individuals from underrepresented minority groups including women, persons of color, diverse gender identities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans. We invite applicants to address their engagement in or commitment to inclusion, equity, and diversity issues as aligned with the mission of the College of IST in their cover letter and resume.
Apply online at https://psu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/PSU_Academic/job/University-Park-Campus/Assistant-Associate-Dean-of-Diversity--Equity--and-Inclusion_REQ_0000014927-1
CAMPUS SECURITY CRIME STATISTICS: For more about safety at Penn State, and to review the Annual Security Report which contains information about crime statistics and other safety and security matters, please go to http://www.police.psu.edu/clery/, which will also provide you with detail on how to request a hard copy of the Annual Security Report.
Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency