Bowles Hall is UC Berkeley’s only residential college. Built, in 1929, Bowles Hall was the 1st Residential College west of the Mississippi River. In 2016, Greystar (Formerly EdR) partnered to fully renovate this historic facility and re-open as a co-ed residential college and provides day -to-day operations. Learn more about housing at Bowles Hall at https://www.bowleshall.com/.
The Assistant Community Manager (ACM) facilitates the overall operation of the community while maintaining a positive and collaborative partnership with Bowles Hall Staff and Student Hall Association (Bowles Hall).
This Hall brings an innovative living-learning component to the campus.
Designed in concert with Student and Hall leadership, the Hall provides a distinct home and experience for its students. There are active learning spaces which can be used for classes, special programs and study groups along with program support space and offices.
The Assistant Community Manager provides the overall leadership for a comprehensive housing facilities program. The ACM works directly with Bowles Hall, including Residence Life and University facilities, to support the Hall’s academic mission and strategic priorities. The ACM oversees approximately 1 fulltime employee, 2 to 3 student staff and a multimillion-dollar operating budget.
The ACM serves as a direct link between Bowles Hall, Greystar, student, facility management, and building operations. He/she is responsible for positively contributing to a high quality, living-learning residential experience for students.
Specific responsibilities include the oversight of all budget and administrative activities, human resources, rent collection, and facilities management. Specifically, the ACM is responsible for departmental oversite of all maintenance and custodial operations for all 189 beds. The ACM works alongside Student Hall Association to help support the student experience. The ACM serves as liaison to the Greystar Regional Director, Bowles Hall, and dining. Additionally, the ACM is responsible for the development, implementation and monitoring of departmental budgets. The ACM is responsible for developing, implementing, and evaluating all student-focused systems and processes that support student retention, mirror Hall thinking, and support the operational and financial goals of Greystar and Bowles Hall.
- Directs, supervises, trains, and evaluates all staff managing facilities and maintenance, assignments, operations and customer service
- Works in partnership with Bowles Hall, Greystar, and other stakeholders to ensure successful facility management, operations, and occupancy
- Attends weekly Bowles Hall and Greystar meetings
- Supports the development of FF&E Inventories, Capital Improvement and Preventive Maintenance Plans
- Actively leads the preparation of the yearly budgets and financial plan and the maintenance and facilities monthly forecasting
- Manages expenses and acts in a fiscally responsible manner
- Ensures the units and public spaces in the residence hall are clean, well maintained, and move in ready for students and conference groups
- Establishes long range planning mechanism; represents the company and establishes a collaborative relationship with the Hall departments and partners
- Serves as Greystar’s day-to-day communication point of contact with the University
- Participates in various committees assigned by Greystar or Bowles Hall administration such as Housing Appeals Committee, Damage Appeals, Housing Assignments, and others
- Works in collaboration with Residence Life to ensure excellent experience for move-in and move-out of all on-campus housing facilities
- Assists with developing policies and processes to maintain maximum occupancy in all residence halls and apartments
- Follows the direction of Bowles Hall, Public Safety, and the Fire Marshall as policies pertain to life safety
- Prepares and/or organizes facility for tours to ensure positive public relations for Greystar and Bowles Hall
- Works directly with the Hall Partners to receive and review reports to ensure work orders are being monitored and closed properly; and communicate with Greystar and Bowles Hall administration timely on maintenance issues or other areas of concern
- Assists with coordination and support of maintaining departmental operations during emergency and response
- Other duties as identified by Greystar or Bowles Hall
In addition to the professional environment, Greystar offers benefit packages to include the following:
Dependent Life Insurance
Voluntary Life Insurance
401(k) Retirement Plan
Cafeteria Plan for Flexible Spending and many other valuable benefits.
Stock purchase options
EOE M/F/D/V Drug-Free Workplace