Job Summary: Haverford College invites applications to our available full time (at least 37.5 hours per week), exempt, benefit eligible Assistant Director of Experiential Learning and Diversity Initiatives position. The Assistant Director of Experiential Learning and Diversity Initiatives reports to the Dean of Career and Professional Advising and has major responsibility for: managing experiential learning opportunities and providing career advising for students exploring, preparing and seeking to gain experience; managing internship and externship Programs; performing Diversity Initiatives and BIPOC Outreach; and, working collaboratively with the CCPA team on the Center’s strategic goals.
Essential Functions & Primary Responsibilities:
Provide career advising and support to students and alumni.
- Provide career advising and support to students, with an emphasis on undergrads exploring, preparing and seeking to gain experience.
- Provide feedback on drafts of resumes, cover letters and essays.
- Perform mock interviews.
- Provide walk-in, quick-questions hours for students.
- Advise students on long term goals and assist with short term goals including summer experiences.
- Advise students on how best to gain knowledge in a field of interest (such as informational interviews), and encourage students to network with alumni, friends, relatives.
- Manage the outreach, recruiting of partners, training, and development of the Sophomore Resume Initiative.
- Provide career advising for alumni, as needed.
Manage and Enhance Experiential Learning Opportunities.
- Manage and oversee the Extern Program for students to job shadow alumni in their place of work during winter and spring breaks engaging 70+ students and 100 alumnae/i each year. Manage the Extern Program application system in Haverford Connect, our online professional networking platform. Implement a selection process to distribute new donor funds for student participants for travel expenses related to the program. Increase student and alumni participation.
- Manage college sponsored funded internship and program initiatives. Coordinate centralized information for college sponsored internship programs and chair the campus Internship Working Group that includes Center for Career and Professional Advising, Center for Peace and Global Citizenship, Haverford Innovations Program, Hurford Center for Arts and Humanities, Koshland Integrated Natural Sciences Center, The Libraries, Maker Arts Space, Microfinance and Impact Investing Initiative, Donor Relations, and other relevant departments.
- Manage the summer funds that CCPA oversees, including the Andrew Silk Summer Journalism Internship, Deborah Lafer-Scher International Internship, Gertrude Albert Heller Memorial Grant, Smart Family Internship Grant, Primary Care Scholarship of Stephen Jaharis summer internship program, and Summer Serve, and any new funds that are established with CCPA oversight. Help to advocate for more funding.
- Manage the Whitehead Internship Program, engaging 12-15 students in a summer work experience related to entrepreneurial endeavors, small business enterprise, venture capital or investment finance activities. Work with college partners and self-designed opportunities.
- Work with Human Resources and Student Engagement to help create student on-campus employment professional development using the NACE Career Competencies.
- Organize and plan yearly Internship Fair, Funded Internships Mega Session, workshops, panels and other programs for the Center.
- Coordinate and/or implement and/or oversee numerous experiential learning programs: Career Exploration Days, and other CCPA exploratory events and programs.
- As a long-term goal, research the viability and possibly implement career ‘treks’ over winter and/or spring break.
Perform Diversity Initiatives and BIPOC Outreach
- Perform direct outreach to BIPOC and underrepresented student groups and colleagues to encourage participation in experiential activities.
- Foster networking between BIPOC and underrepresented students, and alumni and employers.
- Develop and offer tailored programming.
- Maintain communication with the Office of Multicultural Affairs and the Chief Diversity Officer to ensure that CCPA initiatives meet college goals related to anti-racism.
- Perform outreach to increase BIPOC alumni sponsor participation in signature experiential learning programs including the Extern program, Whitehead Internship Program, among others.
General Center support
- Help support day to day operation of CCPA and contribute to the office mission.
- Reach out to student groups & develop related programming.
- Collaborate and partner with student affairs, faculty, Alumni and Parent Relations, and student groups.
Line of Report: This position reports to Dean of Career and Professional Advising. Several Students Assistants will report to this position.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
To Apply: Interested applicants are invited to submit an application, to include a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three (3) references as a consolidated Word document or pdf by visiting https://haverford.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External/job/Haverford-Campus/Assistant-Director-of-Experiential-Learning-and-Diversity-Initiatives-position_R325. The application deadline is Friday, September 3, 2021. Failure to provide the required documents may result in lack of consideration. Haverford College does not sponsor work visas.
Education, Training, & Experience:
- Master’s Degree required. Graduate work in counseling, student/human development, higher education, and/or related fields highly desirable.
- 3 - 5 years of career counseling or academic advising in higher education.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, collaboration, and organizational and planning skills, and ability to work on teams.
- The ability to work effectively and build strong relationships with different constituencies: students, alumni, faculty, staff, and colleagues.
- Demonstrated commitment to work within a diverse environment and work collegially with individuals of different backgrounds
- Must have strong basic computing skills and knowledge of social media. Familiarity with administrative oversight of online platforms
- Advising / coaching / counseling skills
Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions Required of this Position:
Lifting (to exert strength to move objects from one place to another):
- Sedentary Lifting: (0-10 pounds) up to three hours
- Light Lifting (10-20 pounds): up to three hours
- Moderate Lifting (20-50 pounds): up to three hours
- Heavy Lifting (50 to 100 pounds): Never
Pulling (to draw an object toward oneself to move or change its direction): up to three hours
- Pushing ((to exert force upon an abject to move or change its direction): Up to three hours
- Carrying (to hold objects while moving entire body): Up to three hours
- Reaching or working above shoulder (to extend arms upward or outward away from body): Up to three hours
- Walking (to move entire body in erect position): Up to three hours
- Standing (to maintain body in erect posture in stationary position): Up to three hours
- Sitting (to rest weight on buttocks and back of thighs with legs bent at knees): three to six hours
- Crouching/Stooping (to bend upper body forward while fully flexing knees): Up to three hours
- Kneeling (to maintain upper body in erect position while resting knees on ground): Up to three hours
- Climbing (to ascend or descent heights using ladders, scaffolding, stairs, poles, inclined surfaces): Up to three hours
- Twisting (to rotate upper body while feet remain stationary): Up to three hours
- Driving (operating a motor vehicle, crane, tractor, forklift, etc.): Never
- Exposure Limitation (i.e., cold water, dust, gas, fumes, extreme temperatures): Never
All faculty and staff (including contract workers) who are employed or engaged by Haverford College, must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, and provide proof of vaccination, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise.
To Apply: Interested applicants are invited to submit an application, to include a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three (3) references as a consolidated Word document or pdf by visiting https://haverford.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External/job/Haverford-Campus/Assistant-Director-of-Experiential-Learning-and-Diversity-Initiatives-position_R325. The application deadline is Friday, September 3, 2021. Failure to provide the required documents may result in lack of consideration.