Ohio University’s Department of Housing and Residence Life is committed to helping every Bobcat discover their potential and make a meaningful impact. The department is committed to the design and implementation of an inclusive and intentional residential experience for each resident using a curricular and community development framework.
The Assistant Director of Recruitment, Selection, Training & Development position is responsible for the recruitment, selection, training and development functions for Housing and Residence Life (HRL). This position will be responsible for planning, overseeing, and implementing inclusive strategies and processes to recruit, select, train and development student and professional staff positions within 36 residence halls housing approximately 7000 students, This position will collaborate with division and campus partners to establish practices that are in alignment with expectations, with a goal of attracting a widely diverse set of students and staff.
Recruitment and Selection
- Oversee professional, graduate, and student staff recruitment and selection efforts for HRL
- Coordinate on and off boarding of in hall professional, graduate, and student staff in HRL
- Collaborate with departmental partners to provide support for development and to implement recruitment and selection processes to best meet the needs of the department
- Responsible for recruitment efforts (350 student + in hall professional staff and graduate staff)
- Responsible for interview and selection process (350 student + in hall professional staff and graduate staff) Co-Chair in hall professional staff recruitment, selection, training and development committee
- Co-Chair student staff recruitment, selection, training and development committee
- Develop inclusive marketing and recruitment materials and maintain web presence for employment opportunities in HRL
- Ensure departmental recruitment, selection, and hiring practices are compliant with university standards and expectations
- Responsible for developing and implementing assessment plan to evaluate effectiveness of recruitment and selection efforts
Training and Development
- Oversee in hall professional, graduate, and student staff training and development efforts for HRL
- Collaborate with departmental partners to provide support for development and implementation of training for student staff positions
- Develop and implement competencies for student, graduate, and in hall professional staff positions in alignment with divisional, NASPA/ACPA, and ACUHO-I competencies, as appropriate
- Establish relationships with university staff to work collaboratively to design training and development needs within the department
- Work with campus partners to integrate experiential learning expectations into student staff positions
- Develop fall and spring on going training and development opportunities
- Responsible for developing and implementing assessment plan to evaluate effectiveness of training and development, along with identifying training and development needs for positions
Collaborations and Support for University, Division, and Departmental Initiatives
- Collaborate with divisional and university partners to support and integrate missions, visions, goals and strategic initiatives into RSTD responsibilities
- Collaborate with departmental partners to support and integrate competencies and learning objectives into initial fall/spring training and continuous training opportunities
- Collaborate with campus partners initiative to integrate experiential learning into student staff positions
- Collaborate with Division of Diversity and Inclusion and Office of Human Resources to develop inclusive and equitable recruitment, selection, and hiring practices
- Represent Housing and Residence Life through divisional and university committee involvement and participation
- Provide direct supervision to Graduate Assistants
- Provide indirect supervision to departmental staff serving on committees
- Deliver feedback to supervisors of staff serving on committees to support evaluation and development and accountability for assigned tasks
- Serve as the appellate person for all student staff disciplinary action appeals
Division of Student Affairs – Statement on Social Justice
In the Division of Student Affairs, we demonstrate effort for all to understand their individual and collective role in creating inclusive environments and use a perspective of Social Justice in their work. We define Social Justice as an active process and commitment to promoting equity through the 1) identification and removal of barriers, 2) facilitation of learning, 3) cultivation of community, and 4) empowerment of people. We work to address needs related to student development and well-being in order to increase retention, academic progress and graduation rates. We dedicate
ourselves to advancing cultural competency at Ohio University, the surrounding community, and the world.
- Master’s degree in College Student Personnel, Higher Education, Student Affairs, or related field required
- 3-5 years of experience required
Successful candidates will possess the following skills:
- Commitment to supporting development of strong, inclusive residential communities through recruitment, selection, training and development practices.
- Experience integrating intentional learning into work with students and staff, including development of learning outcomes and assessment strategies.
- Willingness to develop inclusionary practices within recruitment, selection, training and development for student and professional staff.
- Effectively manage administrative responsibilities and interpersonal communication with students, faculty, and staff.
- Demonstrate a commitment to issues and matters relating to the field of Student Affairs.
- Experience with recruitment, selection, training, and development in Housing and Residence Life Preferred.
Complete the online application (http://www.ohiouniversityjobs.com/postings/38011) and attach a cover letter, resume, and names/phone numbers of three current references. One reference must be your current or most recent supervisor. Applications will be reviewed as they are received and the position will remain open until filled. For full consideration, please apply by September 30, 2021.
Ohio University is proud of its rich history, diverse campuses, international communities, and beautiful Appalachian settings. As part of our ongoing efforts to provide and support a transformative learning experience, we affirm our commitment to fostering a welcoming, respectful, diverse, and inclusive workforce and community. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, age, ethnicity, national origin, national ancestry, sex, pregnancy, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, military service or veteran status, mental or physical disability, or genetic information. Ohio University is an equal access/equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
To apply, complete the online application (http://www.ohiouniversityjobs.com/postings/38011) and attach a cover letter, resume, and names/phone numbers of three current references. One reference must be your current or most recent supervisor. Applications will be reviewed as they are received and the position will remain open until filled. For full consideration, please apply by September 30, 2021.