The University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV) appreciates your interest in employment. We ask that you keep in mind the following when completing your application:
- Once you start the application process you cannot save your work. Please ensure you have all required attachment(s) available to complete your application before you begin the process.
- Required attachments are listed below on the posting. Your application will not be considered without the required attachments.
- Please note that applications must be submitted prior to the close of the recruitment.
Once a recruitment has closed, applications will no longer be accepted. If you need assistance or have questions regarding the application process, please contact Human Resources at (702) 895-3504 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Nevada, Las Vegas invites applications for Associate Director for Facilities and Operations, UNLV Student Life - Student Union and Event Services [R0126607]
PROFILE of the UNIVERSITY
Founded in 1957, UNLV is a doctoral-degree-granting institution comprised of approximately 31,000 students and more than 3,900 faculty and staff. To date, UNLV has conferred more than 136,000 degrees, producing more than 120,000 alumni around the world. UNLV is classified by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching as an R1 research university with very high research activity. The university is committed to recruiting and retaining top students and faculty, educating the region's diversifying population and workforce, driving economic activity through increased research and community partnerships, and creating an academic health center for Southern Nevada that includes the launch of a new UNLV School of Medicine. UNLV is located on a 332-acre main campus and two satellite campuses in Southern Nevada. For more information, visit us on line at: http://www.unlv.edu
COMMITMENT to DIVERSITY
The successful candidate will demonstrate support for diversity, equity and inclusiveness as well as participate in maintaining a respectful, positive work environment.
ROLE of the POSITION
Serving as both an advocate for the client and the University, the Associate Director exists to provide management and oversight for the Student Union facility operations. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Developing and implementing policies and procedures for the Student Union facility.
- Ensuring facility compliance with departmental, facility and university policies as well as fire/life/occupational safety, security and risk management requirement
- Monitoring daily operations to ensure safe, clean, well-maintained facilities are provided to users
- Provide for custodial systems, staffing and leadership Coordinating an effective maintenance work order system and managing facility improvement projects
- Developing emergency preparedness plan and providing training to prepare occupants for emergency situations
- Maintaining accurate facility and equipment inventory and administering replacement program as budget permits
- Managing operations and staffing budgets including projecting operational needs, approving purchases, and monitoring spending
- Coordinating and monitoring facility use in supporting Student Life services, formal programs, informal student interaction and rental groups
- Serving as operational liaison for all occupants of the Student Union including food services, retail operations and university departments/student organizations with offices in the facility
- Serve as facility liaison for the UNLV Bookstore facility
- Responding to and providing resolution to guest concerns regarding services
- Ability to work nights and weekends as needed and providing 24/7 emergency on-call response as necessary
- Role modeling, educating and engaging a diverse student and staff population
- Recommending policies and guidelines to Executive Director for implementation
Finally, this position is responsible for the direct supervision of five (5) full-time staff who are responsible for supervising 11-13 classified staff, 2 graduate assistants and up to a peak of 60 student staff. The entire functional area is comprised of:
- Student Union Facility Operations (two administrative faculty, two graduate assistants and 25-35 students)
- Student Union Custodial (three classified supervisors and 11 classified staff)
Student Union & Event Services and UNLV Student Life are firmly committed to creating and maintaining an environment that is diverse, inclusive and welcoming for all people. This reflects our commitment and journey towards bringing multiple perspectives to our community; supporting our students, staff, and guests; bringing equity into society and embracing new ideas. Additional responsibilities include moderate in- and out-of-state travel, and ability to work nights and weekends as needed.
This position requires a Master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university, a minimum of 5 year, post-bachelor’s degree full time higher education experience, preferably in a student union or university center facility. Credentials must be obtained prior to the start of employment.
Log in to Apply
Submit a letter of interest, a detailed resume listing qualifications and experience, and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three professional references who may be contacted. Applicants should fully describe their qualifications and experience, with specific reference to each of the minimum and preferred qualifications because this is the information on which the initial review of materials will be based.
Although this position will remain open until filled, review of candidates’ materials will begin on October 11, 2021 and best consideration will be gained for materials submitted prior to that date. Materials should be addressed to Katie Marvel, Search Committee Chair, and are to be submitted online as we do not accept emailed materials. For assistance with the application process, please contact UNLV Human Resources at (702) 895-3504 or UNLVJobs@unlv.edu.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INTERNAL NSHE CANDIDATES
UNLV employees or employees within the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) MUST use the “Find Jobs” process within Workday to find and apply for jobs at UNLV and other NSHE Institutions. Once you log into Workday, type "Find Jobs" in the search box which will navigate to the internal job posting site. Locate this specific job posting by typing the requisition number, <“R0126607”> in the search box.
If you complete an application outside of the internal application process, your application will be returned and you will have to reapply as an internal applicant which may delay your application.
SAFETY AND SECURITY STATEMENT
UNLV is committed to assisting all members of the UNLV community in providing for their own safety and security. The Annual Security Report and Annual Fire Safety Report compliance document is available online.
UNLV is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action educator and employer committed to achieving excellence through diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, color, religion, sex, age, creed, national origin, veteran status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, or any other factor protected by anti-discrimination laws. The University of Nevada, Las Vegas employs only United States citizens and non-citizens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. Women, under-represented groups, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
TITLE IX STATEMENT
UNLV does not discriminate in its employment practices or in its educational programs or activities, including admissions, on the basis of sex/gender pursuant to Title IX, or on the basis of age (40 or older), disability, whether actual or perceived by others (including service-connected disabilities), gender (including pregnancy related conditions), military status or military obligations, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, race, color or religion pursuant to Title 4, Chapter 8, Section 13 of the NSHE Handbook. Reports of discriminatory misconduct, questions regarding Title IX, and/or concerns about noncompliance with Title IX or any other anti-discrimination laws or policies should be directed to UNLV’s Title IX Coordinator Michelle Sposito. The Title IX Coordinator can be reached through the online reporting form, by email at email@example.com, by phone at (702) 895-4055, by mail at 4505 S. Maryland Parkway, Box 451062, Las Vegas, NV, 89154-1062, or in person at Frank and Estella Beam Hall (BEH), Room 555.