The Dean of Students Office (DSO) at Iowa State University is seeking a full-time Coordinator for Communications and Strategic Initiatives.
Reporting to the Associate Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students (AVP/DOS), responsibilities of this position include working on internal and external communications projects, providing customer relations information to external clients or customers, at times dealing with sensitive subject matter. This position may assist in providing communication consultation to 14 internal departments and programs.
In consultation with the Associate Vice President (AVP/DOS), Assistant Deans of Students and department Directors, the Communications Coordinator will create, implement, and maintain a multi-faceted communications strategy including advertising, promotion, and public and media relations to serve the ever-changing needs of the Dean of Students Office’s programs and services. Effectively brand the Dean of Students Office by developing a consistent image that is innovative, dynamic, and reflective of the mission, vision, programs and services provide across all departments aligned with the Student Affairs division and the university. Assist the DSO (including individual units) in communications, marketing and promotion. Develop and implement suitable metrics to ensure DSO communications are achieving objectives. Evaluate DSO communication strategies by collecting and analyzing relevant data. Manage numerous Dean of Students listservs, including community, student, and family grievance submissions and internal targeted email requests.
In addition to providing services, support, and guidance to DSO departments and programs, Coordinator for Communications and Strategic initiatives supervising one student graphic designer. Further, the Coordinator will develop DSO departments’ marketing and promotional materials for admissions events, classroom presentations, and other campus and community activities; assist the AVP/DOS as needed to prepare for public speaking engagements, special events, and media relations inquires; facilitate the design/purchase of promotional items, as needed.
The Coordinator serves on the Dean of Students central office leadership team (Dean Team) and collaborates/partners with the other three Division of Student Affairs communicators as well as communicators and public relations staff in the university president and provost offices.
Example of Duties:
• Composes, reviews, edits, produces, and duplicates audio, visual, video, and/or printed program materials for distribution to target audiences.
• Reviews and/or edits layouts, drafts, and information in order to check for content, readability, and style.
• Works on internal and external communications projects, including website and intranet creation, management of media, public relations and press releases.
• Conducts the required research and analysis to prepare presentations and scripts/speeches for management.
• Provides general customer relations information to external clients or customers, usually not dealing with sensitive subject matter.
• Responsible for developing, implementing, and maintaining internal and external policies and programs to ensure that the organization is represented positively to the media, the general public, and stakeholders including media relations, government and regulatory liaison, company branding, events management, and internal employee communications.
• Intermediate-level position with solid professional and/or technical skills working under general supervision to achieve goals
• Applies broad, working knowledge of the principles of the field to moderately complex, difficult, and varied problems and issues
• Exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action and resolve problems
• Responds to a broad range of inquiries and requests
• May provide training and/or direction to lower-level staff
• May lead projects of moderate scope and complexity
• Provides guidance to students
Required Minimum Qualifications:
Bachelor’s degree and 2 years of related experience
Degree or experience in communications, journalism, public relations, or other closely related field.
Experience writing content and managing websites and social media.
Preferred experience in developing higher education marketing and communications for programmatic and crisis management departments
Experience in crisis communication or working on complex or sensitive topics.
Experience that demonstrates knowledge and understanding of the college student experience