Course Assistant/Supplemental Instruction Program Coordinator
Nevada State College (NSC) appreciates your interest in employment. To ensure your application process runs smoothly, we ask that you keep in mind the following when completing your application:
- The required documents are listed below on the posting. Your application may not be considered if you do not attach the required documents.
- Draft applications are saved automatically and can be accessed through your candidate home account. Completed applications must be submitted prior to the close of the recruitment. Once a recruitment has closed, applications will no longer be accepted.
- Please note, recruitment will close without notice when a hiring decision has been made.
If you need assistance or have questions regarding the application process, please contact the Human Resources department at (702) 992-2320 or email@example.com.
Nevada State College (NSC) invites applications for the position of Course Assistant/Supplemental Instruction Program Coordinator. This position reports to the Director of the Academic Success Center and supports the Course Assistant/SI Program, where trained peer leaders (Course Assistants and SI Leaders) are embedded in first-year/Gateway courses, guiding student learning and helping students with a wide range of college success strategies. In each partnering class, the peer leaders help students connect to campus resources, work to increase a sense of belonging, offer content-specific tutoring, and facilitate group study. The Program Coordinator is responsible for recruiting, hiring, training, placing, and mentoring the embedded peer leaders; managing all day-to-day operations; assessing the effectiveness of the program; and coordinating with other departments across campus. Each semester, we regularly employ 20-30 embedded peer leaders. This innovative program is one of NSC's flagship initiatives, utilizing several best practices in service of our diverse student body.
About Nevada State College:
Founded in 2002, NSC is a four-year public college located on a developing 512-acre campus in the foothills of Henderson, Nevada (adjacent to Las Vegas). Our faculty and staff members enjoy the rare opportunity to mold the college as it continues to grow into a cornerstone of higher education in Southern Nevada. NSC emphasizes high-quality instruction, exemplary student support, evidence-based practices, and innovation as a means to more efficient, effective outcomes in all departments across campus.
NSC, a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI), serves over 5,500 students who are highly diverse and largely underserved—a majority of our students are first generation, racial/ethnic minorities, parents, and/or returning students. We seek applicants who are passionate about working with this promising student population and collaborating with faculty and staff across departments to make a lasting impact in developing our young institution.
Diversity and Inclusion Statement:
At Nevada State College, we celebrate the storied backgrounds of our campus community. We operate with a shared commitment to represent and serve the diverse population of Nevada and to encourage the exchange of ideas that respects and honors the lived experiences of our students, staff, and faculty. We foster a culture of inclusive excellence so our members can live authentically, fully engage, and flourish. To strengthen the college and progress its mission, the college dedicates itself to intentional and ongoing reflection to meeting the evolving needs of NSC, the surrounding communities, and the State of Nevada.
The ideal candidate will share the College's commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. As of Fall 2019, we currently enroll approximately 5,500 students in which 36% are Hispanic, 13% are Asian/Pacific Islander, 8% are Black/African American, 25% are White, and 14% are multiracial. Nevada State College is a Hispanic-serving institution. The successful candidate will join a department dedicated to the use of curriculum that's culturally responsive to the students it serves.
Throughout your application materials, we encourage you to highlight your background in fostering an inclusive campus culture and supporting the success of students who are historically underrepresented in higher education. For example, your efforts might include contributions in the areas of teaching, mentoring, advising, research, and/or institutional service.
- Recruiting, hiring, scheduling, and evaluating Course Assistants (CA) and SI Leaders (SIL)
- Holding regular meetings and observations with the embedded peer leaders (CAs and SILs)
- Training peer leaders in high-impact practices proven to promote student success, including:
- Fostering a sense of belonging
- Helping students with metacognition and skill transfer
- Facilitating collaborative learning opportunities
- Serving as the point person for day-to-day operations associated with the embedded programs and services
- Promoting the embedded programs and services to faculty and students
- Assisting with coordination/facilitation of college-wide training for peer support specialists
- Assessing the effectiveness of embedded programs and services
- Participating in college-wide committees
- Coordinating support services with other relevant units or reporting office
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution
- One year of experience in higher education or a related professional role
- Demonstrated commitment to a diverse, non-traditional, first-generation student population
- Ability to work independently and contribute to a team environment while effectively managing multiple priorities and deadlines
- Eligibility to work in the United States without sponsorship (NSC does not sponsor employment-related visas)
Please note: Applicants must meet the posted minimum qualifications at the time of application in order to be considered for the position.
- Master's degree in relevant field from a regionally accredited institution OR additional coursework at the graduate level in education, organizational leadership, or a related discipline
- Professional experience working with peer support specialists
- Experience with peer mentoring, success coaching, Peer Led Team Learning (PLTL); Supplemental Instruction (SI); or Structured Learning Assistance (SLA)
Salary & Benefits
Budgeted salary for this position is $42,000. Nevada State College offers excellent benefits, including 15.25% retirement match, 24 annual leave days, beginning balance of 30 sick leave days, 11 paid holidays, educational benefits, and the choice of two health insurance plans that can be supplemented with flexible spending accounts or health savings accounts.
This Posting is Open Until Filled
Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply immediately. Lists of eligible candidates will be established and hiring may occur early in the recruiting process. Recruitment will close without notice when a hiring decision has been made.
Special Instructions for Internal NSHE Applicants
NSC employees or employees within the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE, UNLV, UNR, NSC, CSN, TMCC, WNC, GBC, or DRI) MUST use the “Find Jobs” process within Workday to find and apply for jobs at NSC and other NSHE Institutions. Once you log into Workday, type "Find Jobs" in the search box which will navigate to the internal job posting site.
If you complete an application outside of the internal application process, your application will be returned and you will have to reapply as an internal applicant which may delay your application.
Please upload the following documents:
- Detailed resume listing relevant qualifications and experience;
- Cover Letter indicating why you are a good fit for the position and Nevada State College;
- Names and contact information of three references (you will be notified before references are contacted).
Applications that do not include the required uploaded documents may not be considered.
Posting Close Date
Note to Applicant
Applicants should fully describe their qualifications and experience with specific reference to each of the minimum and preferred qualifications in their cover letter. The search committee will use this information during the initial review of application materials.
References will be contacted at the appropriate phase of the recruitment process.
This position may require a criminal background check to be conducted on the candidate(s) selected for hire.
As part of the hiring process, applicants for positions in the Nevada System of Higher Education may be required to demonstrate the ability to perform job-related tasks.
Nevada State College does not currently sponsor Visas, all applicants must be eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship.
Nevada State College
To apply, visit https://nshe.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/NSC-external/job/NSC---Henderson/Course-Assistant-Supplemental-Instruction-Program-Coordinator_R0122703-1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency