Director of Professional and Public Programs
University of San Diego
Department: Continuing Education
Under general direction of the Dean of Professional and Continuing Education, the Director of Professional Programs leads PCE's business, education, and other public initiatives and programs, and provides oversight and direction for new course and program development, student recruitment, and fiscal management. Professional and continuing education programs for business and K-12 education will form the core portfolio for the Director of Professional and Public Programs. Oversees the operation and administration of the program managers and program coordinators for these programs. Will provide strategic direction and project management for program expansion of PCE's continuing education and professional programs.Will be responsible for the administrative, logistical, marketing, student and instructor retention, and compliance requirements needed to support programs that serve continuing education participants.
Directs a team for program-specific and cross-functional development, delivery, and support of professional programs. Manages human, financial, and physical resources, and develops procedures and processes to attain enrollment and budget goals. Assists Dean in formulating and implementing policies and programs that impact all of PCE's continuing education activities. Represents the unit at campus meetings or committees. Manages the accountability and stewardship of USD resources (financial and human) in alignment with USD and PCE goals.
Reports to Dean, Professional and Continuing Education. Directs the activities of the instructors, program managers, program coordinators, program assistants, and other temporary or season employees.
Examples of Work:
Strategic Planning, Research and Partnership:
Under the direction of the Dean, collaborates with PCE program managers, program coordinators, program assistants and other USD administrators and faculty on short and long term strategic planning. Collaborates with administrative departments including Enrollment and Student Services, Information Systems, and Budget and Operations as needed to achieve strategic goals. Participates in organizational strategic planning and policy-making as appropriate.
Manages schedules and performance requirements:
Professional and Public Programs operations
Program Development and Administration of Professional and Public Programs:
- Provides leadership and expertise for the conception and selection of online courses and programs, ensures academic quality of the courses and programs, directs professional programs and course development. Analyzes current educational needs for professional programs and identifies opportunities with course topics, instructors, objectives, and methods of instruction. Devises and implements a research, development, and delivery strategy for the business, K-12 education, and public courses and programs.
- Devises and directs workflow processes for various operational groups within the Professional and Public Programs department to ensure appropriate load balancing between educational and administrative staff.
- Provides leadership expertise for the academic quality of the programs, course production and related activities for portfolio of courses in business, K-12 education, and public programs. Analyzes current educational needs for professional and public programs and identifies best options for course topics, instructors, objectives, and methods of instruction.
- Oversees Professional and Public Programs administrators, staff, and faculty to plan, develop, implement and revise new and existing courses and curricula to meet the audience needs, including credit and noncredit courses, traditional classroom and online courses, certificate programs, professional sequences, and contract courses according to demand metrics and other strategic departmental data.
- In consultation with other program areas plans new and repeat course offerings each term, and develops and administers schedules and performance requirements.
- Identifies, evaluates, budgets for, and implements the required resources for the delivery of all Professional and Public Programs.
- Develops, implements and tracks assessment results and feeds the data though appropriate channels for course, program and service improvement.
- Oversees program administrators and staff to gather, analyze and interpret enrollment data in order to serve student demand for online courses and programs.
- Creates and implements student retention activities and metrics.
- Manages and responds to student administrative issues.
- Ensures online content on website is accurate.
- Supports and manages all logistical and coordination activities required for Professional and Public Programs course planning, delivery, and student support.
- Reviews student evaluations and surveys to evaluate course content, instructor performance and administrative service support. Suggests changes in course and/or certificate content, methodology and instructors where needed.
Develops and manages Professional and Public Programs instructor evaluation, teaching agreements and professional development. Meets with Professional and Public Programs instructors as needed regarding course and program issues:
Recruitment, Orientation and Supervision:
- Oversees Professional and Public Programs instructors in the management, evaluation, and renewal of qualified course instructional experts. Meets with or convenes instructors and advisory groups, as needed, regarding course and program-related issues. In collaboration with the Dean's office and other program areas, manages and updates instructor evaluations and instructor agreements.
- Directly supervises, mentors and evaluates program administrators and staff, including program managers, program coordinators, program assistants, and other temporary or season employees.
- In consultation with Human Resources, oversees performance management and employee development for Professional and Public Programs staff. Supports and mentors the professional development of all staff. Manages all departmental training and staff development efforts to keep all staff members up to date on their roles and responsibilities regarding the department's programmatic and instructional needs.
- Meets with instructors, as needed, regarding course and program-related issues.
- Responsible for the production of an annual budget, financial management and successful performance of Professional and Public Programs in a fully self-supporting environment. Monitors annual budget and makes appropriate adjustments during the year.
- Tracks budget performance for Professional and Public Programs each term in consultation with the Dean's Office.
- Periodically analyzes and monitors revenue, expenditures and budgets and makes adjustments to achieve budgetary goals.
- In consultation with the Dean and administrative offices, negotiates instructor compensation and other course related expenses.
- Reviews and approves payment requests, invoices, reimbursements, and purchase orders in accordance with budgetary and spending plans.
Other duties as assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Common problems solved by the employee:
- Maintains appropriate staff scheduling for workload and intensive program and enrollment periods.
- Resolves student, instructor, employee, and other concerns and problems that might arise with Professional and Public Program development and delivery within the frame of currently established processes and policies.
- Manages and coordinates on a daily and long-term basis all new course development, course scheduling, student support, student and instructor communications and surveying, budgeting, expenditure tracking, and academic quality issues.
- Identifies and maintains mechanisms and metrics for quality assurance, student feedback, and instructor evaluation.
- Develops and implements strategies, services, technologies, equipment and vendors required to deliver Professional and Public Programs courses and certificates.
- Tracks and manages budget performance - pricing, payments, scheduling, expenditures on instruction, equipment, vendors, etc.
- Manages staff performance in accordance with the approved work rules and campus employment policies.
Unusual or complex problems solved by the employee:
- Developing new departmental functions, services, priorities, or partnerships with campus colleges, schools, divisions or departments in order to serve an expanding demand for Professional and Public Programs.
- Devising new reporting, budgeting, cost management and/or control schemes to enhance transparency and collaboration internal to PCE and/or external to USD schools and the college to accommodate partnership programs.
- Strong evidence of vision and leadership in online education.
- 8-10 years of progressively responsible management experience in an academic setting.
- Bachelor's degree required, master's degree preferred.
- Experience managing teams for continuing education development and program delivery.
- Experience managing continuing education instructional staff.
- Experience managing student support for delivering continuing education courses and certificate programs.
- A demonstrated understanding of the major academic and pedagogic concepts that impact Professional and Public Programs and their delivery.
- An ability to work with and maintain effective, collaborative, and professional relationships with academic and administrative department managers as well as external clients and instructors.
- Change management skills.
- Highly effective verbal, written and interpersonal communication and presentation skills, with the ability to represent the organization internally and externally.
- Experience in a self-supporting environment (generating revenue and controlling expenses), including experience developing and managing budgets.
- Highly effective management skills, including strong skills in directing and developing staff members.
- Experience in strategic project planning and project management.
- Highly effective skills to conduct needs assessments, feasibility studies, and program delivery.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office.
- Ability to work at management level, but willingness and acumen to perform hands-on tasks.
- Strong organizational skills and ability.
- Ability to negotiate.
PERFORMANCE EXPECTATIONS: KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Thorough knowledge of functional area and understanding of how work may impact other areas.
- Thorough analytical skills to conduct analysis and develop recommendations, demonstrating organization and problem-solving skills.
- Thorough and effective verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills and presentation skills.
- Thorough knowledge of campus policies and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of and skill in creating and implementing marketing and recruitment campaigns.
- Thorough knowledge of current business, K-12 education, and public programs and trends.
- Thorough skills to conduct needs assessment and development of new courses and programs to meet organizational needs.
- Skill in using business software systems in the completion of work assignments; i.e. Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and working knowledge of web-based instructional tools.
- Expert knowledge of the fundamentals of writing, grammar, syntax, style, and punctuation.
- Thorough knowledge of USD, including its mission, goals, achievements, infrastructure, programs, and policies.
- Thorough knowledge of issues in higher education and/or a specialized academic discipline or field.
- Thorough research and fact verification skills.
- Thorough attention to detail, project management and organizational skills.
Special Conditions of Employment:
Must be able to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends in order to meet project deadlines. Must be able to work with all required technologies and tools.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Salary: Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Hours: 37.5 hours per week; usual work hours 8:30 am to 5:00 pm
Closing date: Open Until Filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visitwww.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers' review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency