Executive Director, Advising
Location: San Antonio, TX
Job ID: 7121
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Org Marketing Statement
The University of Texas at San Antonio is a Hispanic Serving University specializing in cyber, health, fundamental futures, and social-economic development. With more than 34,000 students, it is the largest university in the San Antonio metropolitan region. UTSA advances knowledge through research and discovery, teaching and learning, community engagement and public service. The university embraces multicultural traditions and serves as a center for intellectual and creative resources as well as a catalyst for socioeconomic development and the commercialization of intellectual property—for Texas, the nation and the world. Learn more online, on UTSA Today or on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube or LinkedIn.
UTSA is situated in a global city that has been a crossroads of peoples and cultures for centuries, values diversity and inclusion in all aspects of university life. As an institution expressly founded to advance the education of Mexican Americans and other underserved communities, our university is committed to ending generations of discrimination and inequity. UTSA, a premier public research university, fosters academic excellence through a community of dialogue, discovery and innovation that embraces the uniqueness of each voice.
Posting End Date
Applications will be accepted through 11:59 PM CDT on 12/11/2021. At the discretion of the hiring department, this position posting may close once a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received.
Salary Range: $95,000-$115,000 annualized, commensurate with education, experience and qualifications.
Hours per Week
Exempt: 40 hours a week
Required Application Materials
(Must be in PDF format)
Function: Under the leadership of the Associate Vice Provost for Student Success, the Executive Director of Advising will assist with the oversight of Academic Advising. The Executive Director will work closely with the AVP of Student Success to ensure the delivery of quality academic advising services to a diverse body undergraduate student.
Scope: To provide leadership and management for the delivery of a comprehensive academic advisement program, ensure exceptional customer service and support of student success. Responsible for working collaboratively with the colleges and other UTSA units to administer the UTSA academic advising program; to develop and implement practical solutions to complex problems related to academic advising; to understand and communicate the needs of advising center staff and students to the administration for the improvement of academic advising; and to facilitate the exchange of academic advising information to all concerned parties.
- Budget and personnel allocations to the advising centers; coordinates the hiring of the advising centers' staff.
- Explore and utilize technologies to enhance student success
- Provide programming to help enhance student persistence and graduation rates
- In conjunction with the Senior Instructional Manager, coordinate university-wide training and professional development programs for academic advising.
- Oversees the implementation of advising policies, procedures and best practices; evaluates and implements recommendations of outside consultants.
- Oversees the assessment of advising center effectiveness and student satisfaction; coordinates and implements advising centers' needs to support improved student success.
- Communicates with university administration and advocates for resources for the advising units.
- Partner with Academic Units to facilitate and implement advising strategies, activities, and innovative programs to improve student success and degree completion.
- Designs and conducts annual assessment of Academic Advising and services, runs data reports in the student success platform and creates end-year on programs and services. Other reports and assessments will be also written if needed by the AVP for Student Success.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Master's degree from an accredited institution.
- Ten years of progressive experience in academic advising to include a minimum of five years of advising supervision.
- Superior written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively with colleagues and students from culturally diverse backgrounds and to foster a culture of inclusiveness.
- Demonstrated knowledge of student records systems and automated degree audit programs.
- Demonstrated superior customer/student service skills and ability to work collaboratively with a variety of diverse constituents including parents, faculty, staff, and administrators.
- Ability to work independently and without intense supervision, but also effectively contribute to a leadership team with a service-oriented philosophy.
- Knowledge of personal computers, Microsoft Office and standard office equipment.
- Master's degree with an emphasis in academic advising, educational leadership, higher education or student personnel administration, or related field.
- Twelve years of progressive experience in academic advising with a minimum of eight years of advising supervision.
- Knowledge of Banner student records system and DegreeWorks degree audit program and additional student success platforms.
- Strong skills in change management and strategic planning.
- Experience with data-informed decision making.
- Demonstrated ability to create a vision and gain buy-in from stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to apply current and emerging technology to enhance advising services.
- May have extended work hours within a varying schedule, may include weekends and evenings. Occasional travel to professional meetings and conferences required. May require travel between UTSA campuses and local community colleges for meetings.
This position will be primarily located:
On Campus: Primary work location will be on campus
- UTSA is a tobacco free campus.
- This is a security sensitive position. Employment is contingent upon a successful background check.
- Applicants selected must be able to show proof of eligibility to work in the United States by time of hire.
The required education must be completed by December 1, 2021.
Applicants selected for the interview may be required to present on a preset topic at the time of the interview.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, it is the policy of The University of Texas at San Antonio to promote and ensure equal employment opportunity for all individuals regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information, and veteran status. The University is committed to the Affirmative Action Program in compliance with all government requirements to ensure nondiscrimination. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply. UTSA campuses are accessible to persons with disabilities.
To view the full job posting and apply for this position, go to https://zahr-prd-candidate-ada.utshare.utsystem.edu/psp/ZAHRPRDADA/EMPLOYEE/UTZ_CG/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=7121&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency