The Office of Residential Education invites applications for the position of Housing Coordinator. This is a full-time, 12-month Administrative and Professional Staff position reporting to the Assistant Dean/Director of Residential Education.
Oberlin College is unique among independent colleges for its commitment to offering its students a wide variety of on-campus housing options, such as special interest housing, co-operative housing, village apartment housing, and traditional housing that are designed to meet students’ progressive development.
The Office of Residential Education provides environments that foster respect and civility and create opportunities for debate, leadership development, and personal growth that support the College’s academic mission. As a residential college, Oberlin expects all students to live on-campus and take meals through graduation. Due to space constraints, a limited number of students are granted off-campus status each year.
The Housing Coordinator joins a management team in the central office: the Assistant Dean/Director of Residential Education; the Director of Dining and Conference Services; and Assistant Dean/Assistant Director for Residence Life. The Housing Coordinator is responsible for administrative aspects of housing, which includes making housing assignments and overseeing housing selection; clear billing and compelling marketing that promote understanding of administrative policies and timelines; and, in all of these administrative functions, demonstrating excellent customer service including interpersonal skills with students, parents, faculty and staff; effective, compelling publicity for housing processes and policies; and interactions with students, parents, staff, and faculty that reflect respect and support for students’ personal and social development and academic success.
Essential Job Functions:
- Management of the administration of College housing throughout the year to include data collection related to housing capacity, room change processes, student billing, early arrivals, late departures, and commencement housing.
- Mastery of the effective use of all capabilities of the current housing database software.
- Timely preparation and presentation of data for the Enrollment Management Team.
- Ability to listen carefully and respond clearly both orally and in writing, with understanding and compassion, to concerns and questions related to student life from parents, students, faculty, staff, the Oberlin community, and other institutions.
- Consistent excellent customer service to students with questions or concerns regarding their housing on- or off-campus.
- Planning for and implementation of a comprehensive housing selection process in coordination with various departments.
- Collaboration with the Office of Communications: to design, implement, and maintain an accurate and user-friendly website for the Office; to develop a comprehensive communication plan, including the use of social media; and to create a marketing campaign for the Office.
- Consultation with the Accommodations Committee and Return from Medical Leave Review Committee on matters related to housing availability.
- Training of professional and student staff with respect to housing administration.
- In collaboration with other Student Life staff, the review, evaluation, and revision of student and administrative office policies and procedures.
- Ability to engage in and develop collegial relationships with other employees in all areas of the institution.
- Participation in the area coordinator on-call system as assigned.
- Performance of other duties as assigned.
A bachelor's degree with residential life or housing administration experience is required. Prior to employment, all candidates must pass a background check. All candidates should possess strong administrative skills and be committed to working with a diverse student population.
A master’s degree in College Student Personnel or a related field is strongly preferred.
Experience in housing assignments.
Experience with CBORD Odyssey housing software.
Strong computer skills including MS Excel, SPSS, and database experience.
Send cover letter and resume to Andrew Sadouskas at email@example.com. Priority consideration will be given to resumes received by February 14, 2018. Official applications through Human Resources will be available online on 2/1/18. Communication will be sent to potential candidates via email when the application is live.