Dakota State University seeks a dynamic, energetic, and ambitious individual to serve as a full-time, 12-month, live-in Residence Hall Director for the department of Residence Life. The position will oversee 1-2 residence halls and/or off campus housing locations and supervise Residence Assistants in those communities.
1. Build a sense of community and ownership amongst residents.
2. Advise hall councils and assist in the development of self-governance and community participation.
3. Address common community issues in a timely manner.
4. Provide training and guidance to assist in the development of programming goals to staff, students, and student groups.
5. Assess student staff programming efforts and offer suggestions.
6. Mediate conflicts between students or staff, as necessary.
7. Pro-actively seek out and meet with at risk students and refer to other professional services, if necessary.
8. Adjudicate assigned conduct cases of residential students following processes set by the student code of conduct.
9. Educate students and staff about policies and conduct process.
10. Serve on the on-call duty rotation
11. Hire, train, supervise, and develop student resident assistant staff.
12. Execute crisis intervention (when applicable).
1. Significant evening and weekend availability is essential in this position.
2. A bachelor’s degree is required.
3. A valid driver’s license.
1. A bachelor’s degree in Psychology, Sociology, Human Development, or related field is preferred.
2. Prior experience in the field of residence life is preferred but not required.
DSU accepts applications through an on-line employment site. To apply, visit https://yourfuture.sdbor.edu. The employment site allows the attachment of a cover letter, resume and supporting references to include address and telephone numbers of at least three references. Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
DSU is located in Madison, South Dakota in the southern lakes region of the state. The region boasts a wealth of outdoor sports and a life-style possible only in smaller towns and rural communities. Madison is just a 50-minute drive from Sioux Falls, the largest city in South Dakota.
Dakota State employees receive a comprehensive and flexible benefits package including paid time off, health and retirement benefits, and life and disability insurance options. Other benefits include reduced tuition, longevity pay and training opportunities. DSU also provides professional liability coverage.
DSU is committed to recruitment, hiring, and retention of underrepresented groups.
Applicants with disabilities are invited to identify any necessary accommodations required in the application process. E-Verify, EOE.